Saturday, August 16, 2008

Watch what you say...

Ok, even though I have messed up repeatedly in front of my kids, I don't seem to learn my lesson. Isaac has been carefully listening to everything adults say for quite a long time now, but I still talk about stuff I shouldn't in front of him without even thinking about it. I'm not saying I'm cussing or graphically describing the "marital bed" or anything like that :) I just mean I will maybe say things that kids really don't need to know about. For example: Jarod came home from work and told me that our neighborhood whino (yes, we have one!) was hanging out in the street close to our house. Jarod said he had to act fast and run inside the house as fast as he could before the whino asked for a ride to the liquor store. Jarod has been roped into giving this guy rides around town before. He obviously does not have a car (or a job) yet somehow finds money for alcohol. We are afraid to tell the guy no just in case he and some of his whino friends decide to vandalize our house or something....

Anyway, Jarod was hypothesizing on the guy's life story and I casually mentioned that the guy definitely smokes week outside, too, which really bugs me. At that point, Isaac walked into the room and said "What the heck is that guy smoking weed for?" (he has learned the phrase "what the heck" from my 10 year old nephew, which I don't really like Isaac saying but figure...oh well!) Jarod and I just looked at each other and froze...then burst out laughing. I wish I had it recorded. It was so funny!! I told Isaac to not talk about weed anymore, which prompted him to run around the house saying "smoke weed" for a few days. Elizabeth would even chime in with a few sweet sounding "weed" comments of her own, but I had a theory that if I ignored it, they would stop saying it and it actually worked!! :)

So, the moral of the story is: watch what you say...you never know who might be listening!

2 comments:

Bugsy said...

I had to laugh out loud at this. Funny story for you, I once taught a kid who had very little vocal skills and would echo only a few phrases, but one day he had an "accident" in which while we were cleaning up and changing clothes he let loose a slew of swears that I had never heard come out of his mouth before and I knew could not have come from his teachers. We suspected it was something he'd picked up at home. Kids are always listening ;-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for your nice post on my blog. I hope to see some pics of you guys at christmas. Did you have fun? I bet the kids were super excited.