Friday, April 25, 2008

PET PEEVE GRUMBLES: CELL PHONE USE!!!

OK, at the risk of sounding way older than I am...I despise cell phones! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate accessibility and having a phone if I am stranded on the side of the road, but I just don't get what is so important that people walk around 24 hours a day glued to their cell phones!!! I mean, people have existed for thousands of years without cell phones. They have only recently become so popular, but people can't seem to live without them!!! Here is the number one example of what has peeved me off so bad:

The other day a man came into my office and sat down at my desk. He was on his cell phone as he came in the door and continued his conversation as he sat at my desk. I politely smiled at him and stopped what I was doing on my computer. I assumed he would get off quickly, so I sat with a silly grin on my face and waited for him. He didn't acknowledge me in any way and continued his conversation for another minute or so and I didn't know exactly what to do, so I started working on my computer again. When he finally got off, he put his cell phone away with a flourish and clapped his hands together saying "alright...I got some stuff I need taken care of right away!" I (being the ultra-polite customer-service oriented person that I am) took care of his insurance needs in a timely and professional manner and bid him a good day. When it looked like I would be free from Mr. Rude, he whipped his cell phone out and proceeded to call someone again. I thought--surely he will continue his conversation outside, but NO!!! He sat at my desk (and I was the only one in the office so I have to answer the phone or take care of people coming in) and continued his conversation (which, by the way, I couldn't help but hear and it was nothing important) for 20 minutes!!!!! 20 minutes!!!! AAACCCHHH!!! GGRRRRRR!!! I had to answer 3 phone calls and try to help people with him gabbing away at my desk. It was horrible!!! When he left I was absolutely fuming.... Now, this was not some 16 year old kid, it was a 65 year old man!! This man has lived the vast majority of his life without a cell phone and now all the sudden he has to make a million calls a day??? Of course this was an extreme case, but I can't tell you how many people answer their cell phones and actually carry on conversations when we are in the middle of an appointment or transaction. I just have to sit at my desk staring at the wall and do nothing.

OK, I know I sound very angry and bitter. I'm not, but I just wanted to put this out there: Please do not talk on your cell phone 24 hours a day. Nobody else wants to hear your conversation, and it makes you seem really insensitive and immature. Cell phones can be very handy and wonderful and I don't want to get rid of them or anything, but please: act responsibly!!! :)

No comments: